CHURCH CATEDRAL (National Monument)
This italian neo-classical style church was built in 1885. Its rectangular building takes up the whole block. On September 8th, 1883, during a ceremony conducted by the Church Governor of Valparaiso, Monsignor Mariano Casanova, the Cathedral was blessed and the foundations Stone was laid. It’s made of three naves, divided by Corinthian columns. The central nave has a blue dome decorated with Golden stars. Behind the High Altar there is a magnificent portrayal of the Assumption of Mary.
MUNICIPAL THEATRE (National Monument)
The Municipal Theatre of Iquique was built in 1889. It has a neo-classical style facade with four female statues which represent the seasons of the year. Some of the important materials used in its construction include Oregon pine Wood, redes, clay and crushed Shell. On the foyer’s ceiling there are paintings of music geniuses and four cherubs representing music dance, painting and theatre.
The Casino Español, was built in 1903 by the architect Miguel Retornano and was open for business on July 10th, 1904. Its moorish style set it apart from the predominant georgian style buildings of the surrounding área and it is one of the most representative landmarks of the city. Its interior features oil paintings by the renowned local artista Sixto Rojas, who survived the slaughter of workers at Santa María School in 1907.
MUELLE DE PASAJEROS
PASSENGERS PIER (National Monument)
At the beginning of the 20th century the authorities decided it was necessary to build a pier next to the Maritime Governor Office and closer of the Custom House. Nowadays, boat tours of the harbor leave from here, passing the buoy which marks the site of the sunken Esmeralda Corvette. The cabin boy Manuel Concha started these tours; he was a survivor of the Naval Battle of Iquique on May 21st, 1879, who also remained a prisoner in the Custom House until November 23rd 1879.
OLD CUSTOMS HOUSE (National Monument)
Built in 1871, its foundations are made of Stone and its was include redes covered with Roman cement. It was meant as the headquarters of the Provincial Prefecture of Tarapaca, the Harbour Master and the Custom House. On May 21th, 1879, the remains of Captain Arturo Prat Chacon and Lieutenant Ignacio Serrano Montaner. And the 49 survivors of the Esmeralda were held inside this building.
On November 25th, 1879, Iquique became part of Chile. Captain Patricio Lynch organized the First Municipal Board in this building, in which the first elected mayor of the city was the French citizen Mr. Eduardo de Lapeyrouse.
ASTORECA PALACE (National Monument)
Its construction began in 1903 commissioned by Mr. Juan Higinio De Astoreca, owner of several nitrate mines. Its architecture was inspired by the Georgian style. This mansion of 1400 m2 has a total of 27 rooms, which are decorated with furniture from various eras such as, Neo-Louis XVI, Art Nouveau, and French Neo-Renaissance among others. The house belonged to the Astoreca Family, yet they never lived in it; for they decided to move to Valparaiso in 1904. The mansion and all its furniture were sold to the Chilean Government in 1909. Since then, it was the office of the provincial and later regional governor until 1977.
The main goal of the Regional Museum is the research and diffusion of the cultural heritage of the Province of Iquique. Its exhibition consists of archeological treasures from various ethnic groups, focusing on the Chinchorro culture. Besides, there is a large and valuable collection of objects from the nitrate industry.
PENÍNSULA Y PLAYA CAVANCHA
CAVANCHA PENINSULA AND BEACH
The Cavancha Peninsula, concentrates a large variety of restaurants which serves from traditional regional dishes, fish and seafood specialities to international cuisine. There are many other interesting activities taking place during the night in this area.
Cavancha Beach is one of the nicest promenades of the country, where children and tourists are able to enjoy not only a beautiful and cozy beach, but also the natural landscape. The specially designed Cavancha Theme Park displays tropical fish and alligators
ZONA FRANCA SHOPPING CENTRE
Its wide variety of goods and brands appeals to thousands of daily visitors. Tourists are entitled to a customs duties and tax exemption for shopping up to US$ 1375* per person, as long as these goods are carried in the traveler’s luggage and are not intended for reselling.
*Tax exemption in force at 2017
MUSEO CORBETA ESMERALDA
ESMERALDA CORVETTE MUSEUM
Most important historical heritage Project built to celebrate the Bicentenaries of Chile. This museum is a scale representation of the glorious Corvette Esmeralda that sank during the naval battle of Iquique on May 21th, 1879.
Recreated under the same corvette condition of May 20th, 1879, during your visit you will relive the life on board of the Commander Arturo Prat Chacon, crew, getting to know their daily routines, where they slept, where they spent their free time, exercises they performed, among many other things.
This historical pedestrian boulevard dates back to the Peruvian administration. The houses were built between 1880 and 1920 and are made of Oregon Pine wood. The boulevard is notable for its Georgian Style architecture, ornate verandas with slim pillars and wooden balustrades. The beautiful doors and windows frames, lanterns, observation decks and roof terraces and recurring features in this harmonic joint, a legacy from the great nitrate epic saga, where the aristocracy used to flaunt their honor and wealth.
CASINO DE JUEGOS
It is one of the most complete entertaining centres of the city, its building was inspired by the nitrate industry boom architectural style. Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, it is equipped with a big and comfortable gaming room and many table games such as: poker, blackjack, craps, roulette, baccarat among others.